How many feast days?
The consensus so far is while we'd like all ten, it isn't likely to happen. But maybe we could word a petition to reflect that sentiment - something like ' We request the bishops to consider reinstating the Holy Days listed in Canon Law as Holy Days of Obligation, with a particular priority to...'
My feeling is that going from two to five is feasible - anything more is probably a bit overambitious! But by all means tell me if you think I'm wrong.
Pick one more...
Currently, two Holy Days of Obligation that actually fall on the appropriate date are the Assumption and Christmas. All those who commented agreed Ascension and All Saints should be restored. So you get to pick one more!
Here are the choices, with a few comments:
- 1 January: Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God - another Marian feast, all to the good, and there is something to be saint for Christianising secular feasts!
- 6 January: the Epiphany - Biblical mandate for the date;
- 19 March: Solemnity of St. Joseph, Husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary;
- Thursday after Trinity Sunday: Corpus Christi - something to be said for emphasizing again the Real Presence;
- 29 June: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles - a celebration of papal authority;
- 8 December: the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Would a poll in the sidebar be easier?