Monday, 13 May 2013

Latin Prayer of the week: Act of Love

I've already looked at the acts of faith and hope, so to complete the trilogy of the theological virtues, the Act of Love.  As with the other two, it carries a partial indulgence.

Actus caritatis

The version given in the Compendium of the Catechism is as follows:

Dómine Deus,
amo te super ómnia
et próximum meum propter te,
quia tu es summum, infinítum,
et perfectíssimum bonum,
omni dilectióne dignum.
In hac caritáte
vívere et mori státuo.
Amen.

And the translation given there is:

O Lord God, I love you above all things
and I love my neighbor for your sake
because you are the highest, infinite and perfect
good, worthy of all my love.
In this love I intend to live and die.
Amen.

Looking at the Latin

Here is a literal word by word translation:

Dómine (O Lord) Deus (God), amo (I love) te (you) super (above) ómnia (all/all things) et (and) próximum (neighbour) meum (my) propter (because of/on account of) te (you), quia (because) tu (you) es (you are) summum (the highest), infinítum (infinite), et (and) perfectíssimum (most pefect) bonum (good), omni (of all) dilectióne (love) dignum (worthy). In (in) hac (this) caritáte (love) vívere (to live) et (and) mori (to die) státuo (I stand/intend/am determined/am established). Amen.

No comments: