Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Winter equinox blues...

Today is the winter equinox in Australia, and here in Canberra the weather is doing its best to remind us that winter is well and truly here, even if not everything green in the garden is quite dead yet. 

The temperature gauge claims it has climbed to the great height of around 6 degrees Celsius (42.8F, shudder), but courtesy of freezing winds, the 'apparent temperature' was negative until mid-morning, and is now sitting at 0.5 degrees.  Wonderful!

Let's just say that this is not my favourite time of year (hmm, maybe I should join Joshua's Dormitionists and sleep the winter away in holy somnulence...).

In any case, in honour of the day, I offer my favourite Christmas Carol, which unfortunately never seems terribly appropriate at the correct time of the year in Oz (mind you visions of all that snow probably don't fit Bethlehem itself too well either, unless things were a lot colder back then)!

And if you would, say a prayer for a friend of mind who has just undergone an agioplasty following a heart attack and is stuck in hospital for an extra day or two due to heart pains after the op (and faces further surgery next week) - and for bloggers Hilary White and Fr Hugh OSB who haven't posted for quite a while...

You might also remember all those celebrating the feast of St Thomas More today (yes, I know its Ordinary Form not EF, but I'm not above celebrating great saints' days as many times as possible!), and ask his intercession.
PS For those waiting, I will get around to finishing my Scripture series soon, promise!

6 comments:

Joshua said...

If you are interested in pursuing a Dormitionistine vocation, at least as an oblate, do leave a message in my combox.

"Would to God you could bear with some little of my folly! But do bear with me." (II Cor. xi, 1.)

Hopefully some of this reportage has raised a smile: living in Tasmania as I do, I quite sympathize with you about the drawbacks of cold winter weather.

Kate said...

Alas Joshua, I fear I am ill-suited for this particular vocation, being more inclined in the opposite direction when it comes to sleep!

But I do get a chuckle from seeing another installment come up on your blog...your dedication to this cause is unparalleled!

Joshua said...

I think a spirit of deep sleep (hopefully from the Lord) comes over me again and again... or is it a volcanic ash cloud?

Therese said...

Oh I hate winter too. Although our temperature is not as cold as yours and Joshua's. I will be praying for all those intentions you posted.

hughosb said...

Hi Kate! Thanks for the prayer support you have been pushing my way. It's working! And while I have been quiet I have not missed one of your posts. ;-)

Pax et bonum.

Kate said...

Glad to hear you are back up and runing Fr Hugh!