Thursday, 10 March 2011

Psalm 6 - Thursday after Ash Wednesday: Penitential Psalm No. 1

So I said I would highlight the practice of saying the penitential psalms this Lent. 

And the key to getting the most out of this practice, however you approach it, is to not just say them, but gradually penetrate ever deeper into their meaning.

So, to get started on this process, over the next seven days (skipping Sunday and a solemnity since they are not penitential days), an overview: I will provide the Latin (Vulgate) and an English translation (from the Douay-Rheims) of one of the psalms each day, together with a musical setting of part or all of it.  Then, over the remaining weeks of Lent I will focus in on each psalm in turn.

Psalm 6

The first of the penitential psalms is Psalm 6, O Lord rebuke me not in thy indignation.  St Robert Bellarmine gives it the description 'A prayer of a penitent sinner, under the scourge of God'.

Here is the antiphon used with the seven penitential psalms together with first two penitential psalms performed recto tono:



1. Dómine, ne in furóre tuo árguas me, * neque in ira tua corrípias me.
2. Miserére mei, Dómine, quóniam infírmus sum : * sana me, Dómine, quóniam conturbáta sunt ossa mea.
3. Et ánima mea turbáta est valde : * sed tu, Dómine, úsquequo?
4. Convértere, Dómine, et éripe ánimam meam : * salvum me fac propter misericórdiam tuam.
5. Quóniam non est in morte qui memor sit tui : * in inférno autem quis confitébitur tibi?
6. Laborávi in gémitu meo, lavábo per síngulas noctes lectum meum : * lácrimis meis stratum meum rigábo.
7. Turbátus est a furóre óculus meus : * inveterávi inter omnes inimícos meos.
8. Discédite a me, omnes, qui operámini iniquitátem : * quóniam exaudívit Dóminus vocem fletus mei.
9. Exaudívit Dóminus deprecatiónem meam, * Dóminus oratiónem meam suscépit.
10 Erubéscant, et conturbéntur veheménter omnes inimíci mei : * convertántur et erubéscant valde velóciter.

And the Douay-Rheims translation:

O Lord, rebuke me not in your indignation, nor chastise me in your wrath.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak: heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
And my soul is troubled exceedingly: but you, O Lord, how long?
Turn to me, O Lord, and deliver my soul: O save me for your mercy's sake.
For there is no one in death that is mindful of you: and who shall confess to you in hell?
I have laboured in my groanings, every night I will wash my bed: I will water my couch with my tears.
My eye is troubled through indignation: I have grown old amongst all my enemies.
Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity: for the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication: the Lord has received my prayer.
Let all my enemies be ashamed, and be very much troubled: let them be turned back, and be ashamed very speedily.

Tomorrow, Psalm 31.

Or, you can skip forward and find an introduction to the psalm, followed by some notes for lectio divina on selected verses of it, starting here.

No comments: