Friday, 18 March 2011

Psalm 142: Friday in the first week of Lent, Penitential Psalm No. 7

The last of the penitential psalms is Psalm 142, Hear, O Lord, my prayer. St Robert Bellarmine subtitles it, 'The psalmist in tribulation calls upon God for his delivery'.

Here it is the first part of it in a setting by Orlando di Lasso:



The Vulgate:

Dómine, exáudi oratiónem meam: áuribus pércipe obsecratiónem meam in veritáte tua : * exáudi me in tua justítia.
2 Et non intres in judícium cum servo tuo: * quia non justificábitur in conspéctu tuo omnis vivens.
3 Quia persecútus est inimícus ánimam meam: * humiliávit in terra vitam meam.
4 Collocávit me in obscúris sicut mórtuos sæculi : * et anxiátus est super me spíritus meus, in me turbátum est cor meum.
5 Memor fui diérum antiquórum, meditátus sum in ómnibus opéribus tuis: * in factis mánuum tuárum meditábar.
6 Expándi manus meas ad te: * ánima mea sicut terra sine aqua tibi.
7 Velóciter exáudi me, Dómine: * defécit spíritus meus.
8 Non avértas fáciem tuam a me: * et símilis ero descendéntibus in lacum.
9 Audítam fac mihi mane misericórdiam tuam: * quia in te sperávi.
10 Notam fac mihi viam, in qua ámbulem: * quia ad te levávi ánimam meam.
11 Eripe me de inimícis meis, Dómine, ad te confúgi: * doce me fácere voluntátem tuam, quia Deus meus es tu.
12 Spíritus tuus bonus dedúcet me in terram rectam: * propter nomen tuum, Dómine, vivificábis me, in æquitáte tua.
13 Edúces de tribulatióne ánimam meam: * et in misericórdia tua dispérdes inimícos meos.
14 Et perdes omnes, qui tríbulant ánimam meam, * quóniam ego servus tuus sum.

The English:

Hear, O Lord, my prayer: give ear to my supplication in your truth: hear me in your justice.
And enter not into judgment with your servant: for in your sight no man living shall be justified.
For the enemy has persecuted my soul: he has brought down my life to the earth.
He has made me to dwell in darkness as those that have been dead of old: And my spirit is in anguish within me: my heart within me is troubled.
I remembered the days of old, I meditated on all your works: I meditated upon the works of your hands.
I stretched forth my hands to you: my soul is as earth without water unto you.
Hear me speedily, O Lord: my spirit has fainted away.
Turn not away your face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
Cause me to hear your mercy in the morning; for in you have I hoped.
Make the way known to me, wherein I should walk: for I have lifted up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord, to you have I fled: Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Your good spirit shall lead me into the right land: For your name's sake, O Lord, you will quicken me in your justice.
You will bring my soul out of trouble: And in your mercy you will destroy my enemies.
And you will cut off all them that afflict my soul: for I am your servant.

No comments: