Friday, 11 March 2011

Psalm 31 (32) - Friday after Ash Wednesday: Penitential Psalm No 2

The second penitential psalm, Psalm 31 (32), Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, is a timely reminder of why we undertake Lenten penances, namely the joy that comes when we confess our sins and have them forgiven.  It is a prayer to overcome our resistance to doing just that!

You can find an introduction to it, followed by some notes on selected verses to aid lectio divina, here.

But first, just read it through a few times, in the Vulgate and English versions set out below, and listen to this setting (interspersed with English text) by young American composer, Zachary Wadsworth (b 1983):



The Vulgate:

1 Beáti quorum remíssæ sunt iniquitátes: * et quorum tecta sunt peccáta.
2 Beátus vir, cui non imputávit Dóminus peccátum, * nec est in spíritu ejus dolus.
3 Quóniam tácui, inveteravérunt ossa mea, * dum clamárem tota die.
4 Quóniam die ac nocte graváta est super me manus tua: * convérsus sum in ærúmna mea, dum confígitur spina.
5 Delíctum meum cógnitum tibi feci: * et injustítiam meam non abscóndi.
6 Dixi: Confitébor advérsum me injustítiam meam Dómino: * et tu remisísti impietátem peccáti mei.
7 Pro hac orábit ad te omnis sanctus, * in témpore opportúno.
8 Verúmtamen in dilúvio aquárum multárum, * ad eum non approximábunt.
9 Tu es refúgium meum a tribulatióne, quæ circúmdedit me: * exsultátio mea, érue me a circumdántibus me.
10 Intelléctum tibi dabo, et ínstruam te in via hac, qua gradiéris: * firmábo super te óculos meos.
11 Nolíte fíeri sicut equus et mulus, * quibus non est intelléctus.
12 In camo et freno maxíllas eórum constrínge: * qui non appróximant ad te.
13 Multa flagélla peccatóris, * sperántem autem in Dómino misericórdia circúmdabit.
14 Lætámini in Dómino et exsultáte, justi, * et gloriámini, omnes recti corde.

And in English:

1 Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord has not imputed sin, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
3 Because I was silent my bones grew old; whilst I cried out all the day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me: I am turned in my anguish, whilst the thorn is fastened.
5 I have acknowledged my sin to you, and my injustice I have not concealed.
6 I said I will confess against my self my injustice to the Lord: and you have forgiven the wickedness of my sin.
7 For this shall every one that is holy pray to you in a seasonable time.
8 And yet in a flood of many waters, they shall not come near unto him.
9 You are my refuge from the trouble which has encompassed me: my joy, deliver me from them that surround me.
10 I will give you understanding, and I will instruct you in this way, in which you shall go: I will fix my eyes upon you.
11 Do not become like the horse and the mule, who have no understanding.
12 With bit and bridle bind fast their jaws, who come not near unto you.
13 Many are the scourges of the sinner, but mercy shall encompass him that hopes in the Lord.
14 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, you just, and glory, all you right of heart.

Tomorrow, Psalm 37.

No comments: