And if you've just been hanging out to see and hear a variety of our bishops talking, you might also want to check out 'The Reflection'...the first one (on the temptation of Jesus according to the Gospel of Matthew), features Archbishop Hart (Melbourne), Bishop McKenna (Bathurst), Bishop Morris (Toowoomba) and Archbishop Coleridge (Canberra).
Here is a little roundup of what is on the websites of our biggest/metropolitan/more active dioceses so far (do alert me if you know of others):
- Melbourne: a pastoral letter from Archbishop Hart encouraging prayer, fasting, almsgiving and confession;
- Brisbane: pastoral message from Archbishop Bathersby focusing on seeking God and evangelising and re-evangelising; mentions fasting, almsgiving (including possility of to flood victims) and prayer;
- Sydney: reflection on Lent from Cardinal Pell (with video). Sets out fasting regulations and encourages to do more; suggests also prayer, Scripture reading, almsgiving;
- Perth: Lent vodcast urges prayer, penance (do more than required!) and almsgiving;
- Parramatta: diocesan launch of Project Compassion almsgiving, and a pastoral message with a strong focus on confession (including extra time available in churches) can be read here;
- Canberra-Goulburn: Pastoral letter from Archbishop Coleridge (you can also listen to him read it) - mainly about almsgiving and archdiocesan finances (the diocese needs your contributions...!);
- Lismore: Pastoral Letter from Bishop Jarrett - Lent as a time for reflection and focus on personal salvation ('fill up and recharge') by remembering and reflecting on our baptism and making a good confession (links to Pope's message);
- Hobart: -
- **Port Pirie: Pastoral Letter from Bishop Kelly: suggests better to do more than give up something - prayer, read Scripture, give to Project Compassion for example.