The short extracts, which L'Osservatore Romano, being its usual helpful self on these type of issues, are highly selected, and have been taken out of context.
For some perspective on what the Pope actually said and what it really means see:
- A Priest Down Under: Pope Benedict on condom use;
- Fr Blake: Am I a wet liberal or plain naive?
- Fr Z: The Pope did not endorse condoms;
- Damian Thompson: Pope Benedict's extraordinary comments about condoms and HIV reflect his charity and common sense;
- Creative Minority Report: Pope Endorses Condoms? Don't Believe It.