Monday, 29 November 2010

Advent...



From the Gospel for the first Sunday in Advent: "And he told them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees; as soon as they come out in leaf, you see for yourselves and know that the summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all has taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."

It's rare for the readings to match the Southern Hemisphere seasons....

2 comments:

Schütz said...

Yes, our fig tree is starting to fruit at this very moment, and the text struck a chord. Our passionfruit vine is also starting to fruit, but I am a little disappointed that only a few fruit for so many flowers have appeared. Now to keep the possums away. I wonder why Jesus didn't mention them?

Terra said...

Hmm yes, I have to admit I certainly wish God's providential management of their food supply didn't include my silver beet patch, coriander (seems to be a positive lure no matter where I put it) and fruit trees!

Fortunately, the thorns on the raspberries at least seem to keep them away from those, and they are just starting to ripen...