Wednesday, 20 May 2009

A petition on Holy Days...

Further to my previous post, I notice that in the UK, from Fr Tim's blog that someone has started a petition for the restoration of holy days to their appropriate date. It looks pretty easy to do, so I propose to set one up and see what level of interest it generates!

Before I do that though, I thought I should take a straw poll on just which holy days we should campaign for!

Currently in Australia, there are only two feasts celebrated on their actual date: Assumption and the Nativity. All the others are either assigned to the Sunday (thus covered by the Sunday mass precept) or suppressed - but I haven't been able to locate a list of which fall in which of these latter categories (if you know where to find it, let me know...!

All up, there are ten feasts specified in canon law to be celebrated as holy days of obligation unless the bishops' conference suppresses them, or transfers them to the Sunday. These are:

1 January: Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
6 January: the Epiphany
19 March: Solemnity of St. Joseph, Husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Thursday of the sixth week of Easter: the Ascension
Thursday after Trinity Sunday: Corpus Christi
29 June: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles
15 August: the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1 November: All Saints
8 December: the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary 25 December: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ (Christmas).

But hardly any countries actually celebrate them all - according to the Wikipedia, Rome and one Swiss canton (take a look at this list)!

So we could:
  • suggest all of them be considered, but that may be too greedy;
  • go for a selection - my pick would be Epiphany, Ascension, All Saints (and perhaps SS Peter and Paul);
  • another selection of your choice.

Let me know what you think about the idea of the petition, and what it should ask for!

3 comments:

Peter said...

Of course in Australia (a mission country) all of these were never 'of obligation'.

But the petition idea is a good one.

Personally I would be in favour of all 10 but as you point out I doubt that will happen

So we have 25 Dec and 15 August now.

We used to have: 1 Jan, 1 Nov and Ascension (in my memory). They should return. (Though I wonder if Epiphany might be an option - perhaps with an ecumenical bent, as the Eastern rites celebrate this instead of Christmas)

I'm not sure Corpus Christi was ever observed as of obligation on the Thursday in Australia but that would be a good one.

In the current hedonist/quasi-manichean age I think the Immaculate Conception would be good.

Andrea said...

I would love to see all of them on their correct dates, but...

If I had to make a selection it would be Ascension, Epiphany and All Saints, and another Marian one.

gmck9431 said...

Hi Terra,
Would prefer the "Full Monty" but I'm sure that won't happen. At the very least we should have what we've got plus Ascension Thursday and All Saints day.