Sunday, 19 April 2009

Blogdom under attack!



I wrote a short reflection yesterday on some of the reasons why I thinking blogging is a good thing, but I have to admit I hadn't been paying attention on what is going on in the United Kingdom with the Tablet's latest attack.

But catching up on the blogs today I read Fr Finigan on the latest installment of this battle - please do go read the whole thing.

Not content with attempting to destroy the work of a priest who has dared to offer the TLM regularly in his parish, including on Sunday, the Tablet now seems to be trying to put him out of the blogging business, targeting an upcoming meeting of bishops likely to deal with the subject.

Here is an extract:

"This week, the editorial [in the Tablet] "Voices from the Lower Depths" is a broadside against blogging generally. Ostensibly tut-tutting about the role of blogs in the McBride scandal, the Tablet could not resist lashing out against Catholic bloggers: "often right-wing, polemical and vituperative". Worst of all, as the leader bemoans, their targets "often seem to include the Tablet."

When you have picked yourself up from the floor and dried your eyes, you might take the opportunity to post one or other of the following in the combox here or on your own blog:


  • a polite explanation of why the Tablet should not be sold in our Cathedrals or parish Churches (with examples and quotations)
  • an account of the work done by Catholic blogs in supporting Pope Benedict (with links)

  • a list of the ways that Catholic blogs have helped ordinary Catholics to grow in their faith (with links or personal testimonies).
This is actually meant seriously. Not all Bishops are familiar with blogs and it would be a pity if they were left unaware of the great good that many Catholics do, in their spare time, for the love of God, by writing on various subjects at various levels, to help others know more about Our Lord and about the Catholic faith. To dismiss all these good people as polemical and vituperative is lazy journalism and unhelpful in the discussion which Pope Benedict has engaged in regarding the new media."

Now I'm assuming that Fr Tim is really looking for British bloggers to come together on this one, nonetheless, the issue will probably come up in Australia more explicitly than it already has. So if you'd like to offer and testimonies on how blogs have helped you, please go ahead and add them to his or this combox!

I'd also note that I have seen the Tablet in a few churches in Oz, and it really is dangerous. I know, because every time I go to see my (catholic) doctor she asks for a bit of catechesis, and I usually discover that the issue that has been bothering her, jangling against her sense of the faith, is something she read in the bitter pill...from which she has learnt things like that St Thomas Aquinas is old-fashioned and now irrelevant (she was astonished that my theology degree might be based on his work), and all that flows from that! So if you do see it in your parish church, have a chat to the priest about getting rid of it.

In any case, please do go over and support Fr Finigan and the other British priest bloggers from whom I for one have learnt a lot.

1 comment:

Louise said...

I know, because every time I go to see my (catholic) doctor she asks for a bit of catechesis, and I usually discover that the issue that has been bothering her, jangling against her sense of the faith, is something she read in the bitter pill...Ah, The Pill! It needs to be flushed!