Monday, 13 April 2009

Benedictine Ordo for week of 12 April

This week is one of the easiest in the calendar, since once you get Sunday right, you just keep repeating it! The only things that change each day (which you can find on pages 335*ff in the Farnborough Monastic Diurnal) are:
  • the antiphon for the Benedictus and Magnificat; and
  • the collect set for each day.
A few things to remember:
  • use the Sunday psalms throughout the week;
  • at Lauds and Vespers, a double alleluia is attached to the Benedicamus Domino/Deo Gratias at the end;
  • Alleluia is attached to all of the antiphons, responsories and versicles (noted in the Diurnal);
  • the versicle at all of the minor hours is Haec dies...alleluia;
  • the hymn for lauds is Aurora lucis (Farnborough Diurnal, 329*); for vespers Ad cenam, MD333*.
Sunday, 12 April - Easter Sunday, Class I

Holy Week Notes, Part V

Monday, 13 April - Monday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday (MD 328*) except for:
  • Benedictus antiphon at Lauds, Iesus iunxit (MD335*);
  • collect Deus qui..
  • Magnificat antiphon at Vespers, Qui sunt (MD 335*)

Tuesday, 14 April - Tuesday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday, except for MD 336*

Wednesday, 15 April - Wednesday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday, except for MD 336*

Thursday, 16 April - Thursday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday, except for MD 337*

Friday, 17 April - Friday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday, except for MD 338*

Saturday, 18 April - Saturday in the Octave of Easter, Class I

As for Easter Sunday up until and including Nones except for collect and Benedictus antiphon, MD 328*

First Vespers of Low Sunday, 329*

3 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

This is really helpful... can I just check that the antiphon at Prime is the first one from Lauds?

(I can see that I'm going to have to look back over all your ordo posts to try and get up to speed!!)

Terra said...

Glad to be of use! And yes, the antiphon for Prime this week is the first antiphon of Lauds, Angelus autem.

I'm planning to start a more detailed series of 'how to say the Office' notes from this Saturday...

Mac McLernon said...

Fabulous. I can't wait... the Diurnal isn't exactly overburdened with explanatory notes, is it?