Tuesday, 16 September 2008

What kind of blog are you (reading)?

I came across an intriguing article on the various types of blogs by Margaret Simons.

Now I don't entirely agree I don't entirely agree with her classifications and analysis (I don't see any real distinction between her 'pamphleteer' and 'advocacy' blog for example), but I thought I'd set them out with a few examples of how I'd classify things, with a few tweaks to her categories, and let you have a go at classifying your own blog, or your own favourite read, and see whether you think there is any value in the categories....

  • The Diarist. This is probably still the most common in traddiedom I think, and we all tend to fall into it from time to time! Blogs like Joshua's Psallite Sapienter, Hilary's Orwell's Picnic and Mac's Mulier Fortis illustrate one of the areas I think Simons is wrong. Simons argues diaries will move to things like Facebook where they can connect with those who know the person concerned. But the diarist who genuinely reflects on their experience in ways that can guide others, or provides 'how to live' information will always find a wide readership in my view!

  • The Digest. Summaries of information (with or without commentary) that can be found elsewhere. I've been trying to do a bit of that with my news roundups of Oz and other news. I think it is useful because most people haven't got time (or just can't be bothered!) to comb the internet for information that they might or might not be interested in! I'm not sure that this is generally the domain of bloggers any more though, except in extremely niche markets such as Oz traditionalism - generally news services like CathNews and Zenit (see my sidebar for a more complete list), and Facebook groups, play this role.

  • The News blog - effectively acting as quasi-mainstream news services, often breaking news of interest to the community. The biggest of these in the international traddie world though, I imagine are Fr Z's What does the prayer really say and New Liturgical Movement (though both these are also pamphleteers, see below). The hermaneutic of continuity also services this role, as does Rorate Caeli.

  • The Gatewatcher - basically shows up mainstream media reporting! We so need one of these here. The model I think is Creative Minority Report.

  • The pamphleteer/advocate - umm, well, that might be most of us at times! We write tracts and try and convince you of our perspective...

  • The Popular Mechanic - tells you 'how to do' something. Actually quite a lot of Fr Z takes this form, on rubrical inquiries. And I might be running one or two campaigns in this area myself...(think Scripture reading!).


Missing categories

Now I think there are still at least one or two missing categories from this list. The most important is this: the blogs that provide serious, often quasi-academic think or information pieces - like NLM's articles on the history of the liturgy, Rorate's on the history of the traditional movement. And in fact this seems to be a bit of a growth area at the moment, with quasi-blog sites such as Inside Catholic and The Catholic Thing providing articles that perhaps most resemble the type of content you'd find in the Saturday Review/Magazine sections of the newspaper (albeit with a much more targeted content) - or indeed hardcopy journals like The Remnant, Latin Mass Magasine and local efforts - but dished up daily (and in some cases allowing comments).

Intriguing stuff....

1 comment:

Cardinal Pole said...

Don't forget the satirical blog--long live Coo-ees!

(My own blog is an advocate/pamphleteer blog, of course, as well as a record of all the bizarre, self-destructive things going on in society and the Church.)