Friday, 5 September 2008

First Fridays: a particularly good deal going....

Just a little reminder that today is a first Friday...which means its your chance to get onto a particularly good deal! Our Lord promised St Margaret Mary Alacoque that anyone who receives communion on nine consecutive first Fridays (of the month) will receive the grace of final penitence:

"I promise thee in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Divine heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."

Now you don't have to believe in the twelve promises of Our Lord to the saint of course as it is a private revelation (albeit an approved one). But it certainly can't hurt to take note of it!

Still, if you can't make it today, think about doing the five first Saturdays devotion tomorrow...requiring confession, communion, five decades of the rosary, meditation for twenty minutes on the rosary; and a spirit of reparation.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

May I be impishly impious?

I've always wondered why Our Lord's conditions for the Nine First Fridays should be so much less onerous than those of Our Lady for the Five First Saturdays!

Forgive me, but it's always struck me that its an unusual case of the latter asking more than the Former, as it were (no disrespect intended): but perhaps she knows her devout children all too well in their love of devotions... ;-)

Terra said...

Yup, our church had leaflets for both out. The organiser of first Saturday devotions was wondering why the turnout was so low - I had to say, maybe people were taking the easier route, notwithstanding the attractiveness of the devotions themselves!