Saturday, 19 April 2008

Mr Rudd's talkfest

As I write '2020', Australia's weekend assembly of the 'best and brightest' to come up with new ideas for the future of our nation, is happening.

I have to admit though, that up til now, I'd just seen as an expensive but essentially harmless and irrelevant diversion from ever rising interest rates, petrol prices and the like.

But then a friend sent me this comment:

"Mr Rudd told delegates he wanted the event to "throw open the windows of our democracy" and find insights into a "new way of governing our nation".

"The old way of governing has long been creaking and groaning," he said.

This immediately reminded me of the reference of John XXIII, "flinging open of windows within the Church" ..... eventually followed by Paul VI's “from some fissure the smoke of Satan has entered the temple of God.”

Gahhh....are we really in for forty horror years! Let's pray not.

No comments: